PVC can be easily connected to cast iron pipe using a solvent weld. First, make sure the surfaces of the PVC and cast iron are clean and dry. Apply primer to both surfaces, then use a PVC cement to weld them together. Be sure to use enough cement to create a good seal, and give the joint plenty of time to cure before applying pressure.
How To Connect Pvc To Cast Iron Pipe Underground
Cast iron pipes were once the most common type of pipe used in the United States for water distribution. PVC pipes have since replaced cast iron pipes because they are less expensive and easier to install. However, cast iron pipes are still in use in many parts of the country. If you need to connect a PVC pipe to a cast iron pipe underground, you will need to use a coupling fitting. The first step is to measure the diameter of the PVC pipe and the diameter of the cast
– PVC pipe – Cast iron pipe – Trench shovel – PVC primer – PVC cement – Hacksaw
- Cut the pvc pipe to the desired length with a pvc cutter
- Clean the end of the pvc pipe and the cast iron pipe with a wire brush
- Apply primer to the end of the pvc pipe and the cast iron
– If you are connecting PVC to cast iron pipe underground, you will need to use a coupling. – Make sure that the coupling is the same size as the PVC and the cast iron pipe. – Apply PVC cement to both the outside of the PVC and inside of the coupling. – Push the PVC into the coupling until it is fully seated. – Use a level to ensure that the pipe is straight, and then use a hacksaw to cut off any excess PVC.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Connect Pvc To Cast Iron Pipe?
Yes, PVC can be connected to cast iron pipe with the use of a coupling.
Can Pvc And Cast Iron Be Used Together?
Yes, PVC and cast iron can be used together. PVC pipe is often used in conjunction with cast iron fittings and soil pipe. The two materials work well together because PVC is a non-corrosive material and cast iron is a very strong material.
Can You Use No Hub Cast Iron Underground?
Typically, no. The soil and environment can cause the cast iron to corrode.
In The End
When connecting PVC pipe to cast iron pipe underground, it is important to use a coupling that is specifically designed for this purpose. The coupling should have a rubber gasket to create a watertight seal between the two pipes.